For Visitors Wishing to Use the Kumamoto University Library
Citizens wishing to use the collections of the Kumamoto University Library for the purposes of academic research and study are welcome to do so.
We do not allow visitors to use the Library as a place to sit, nor do we normally permit entrance to children/students under the age of 18, students studying for entrance exams, etc. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.
Temporary Use of the Library
Visitors wishing to browse the Library are asked to fill out an Application for Use of the Library (Current Day) at any of the library counters prior to entry.
Continued Use or Borrowing Materials from the Library (Central Library)
For visitors wishing to borrow materials or use the Central Library for a prolonged period of time, a library card can be issued under the following conditions:
- Current address or place of employment within Kumamoto Prefecture.
Please bring the following 2 items to the Central Library counter when applying:
- Identification (driver's license or health insurance card)
- An article of mail addressed to the applicant
Period of validity:
- The library card is valid until the end of the fiscal year (March 31st) in which the card was issued.
- The card may be renewed if the applicant wishes to continue using the Library.
- Renewal requests for the following fiscal year are accepted after March 1st.
- Please bring your current library card and identification to any library counter. If your address has changed, an article of mail addressed to your new address is also required.
- Please contact us as soon as possible if you lose your library card or change your address.
- If you stop using the Library, please return your library card.
Entering the Library
You need to use your library card to enter libraries fitted with entrance gates.
If you forget your library card:
Please inform a member of the staff at the library counter and follow the instructions given to you.
Visitors using wheelchairs:
For visitors requiring assistance, such as visitors in wheelchairs, please call for help using the intercom.
Leaving the Library
An alarm will sound and the exit gate will close if a visitor attempts to remove materials without first checking them out. If you trigger the alarm, we are obliged to check your belongings at the library counter before allowing you to leave.
Please note that any of the following objects may accidentally trigger the gate alarm. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.
- Materials borrowed from another university through an interlibrary loan
- CD/DVD rentals, etc.
- Mobile phones and portable music players
- Folding umbrellas