The procedures for use by visitors of rare books located on-campus are explained below.
If you wish to use rare books located at the Kumamoto University Library for academic study or research, please submit the application for use found below.
It takes about 1 week from the submission of your application for permission to be approved. We are not able to provide usage on the same day as the application is made.
NOTE: The application process for the Hosokawa Manuscript Collection (Eisei Bunko) is different. Please refer to Using the Hosokawa Manuscript Collection (Visitors).
1. Please address your application to the Director of the Kumamoto University Library.
2. There is no special format for the application, but please include whether the request is for viewing or photography, the archive name, usage purpose, etc.
- (1) Up to 20 items may be included per application for use.
- (2) For archives for which there is a microfilm version available, use of the microfilm version is given priority.
3. Please contact us separately via telephone, etc. This is because we must coordinate preferred dates and times of use with other users.
(If you do not contact us in advance, your preferred date and time may not be available to you)
4. We will contact you upon receiving permission from the Library Director.
- Application hours: Mon-Fri (weekdays) 9:00-16:30
- Viewing hours: Mon-Fri (weekdays) 9:00-16:30
- Kumamoto University Library Usage Services
- 2-40-1 Kurokami, Chuo-ku, Kumamoto City 〒860-8555
- TEL: 096-342-2243/FAX: 096-342-2210
Republication, Reprinting, Publishing, Broadcasting, etc.
Please follow the same procedures as stated above.
Acceptable purposes of use are restricted to "contributions to the areas of academics, education, or culture," and must not infringe upon the rights of others.
Examples of acceptable use:
Use of a part of an illustration in a rare book stored at the University for publication in an academic book or essay
Use of an image in a rare book to be broadcast on an educational TV program
Example of unacceptable use:
Use in commercial advertising materials
Applying for a usage permit implies that the applicant consents to all of the following permit conditions.
Should the applicant violate these conditions, permission may be rescinded.
- The period of use shall be from the date of permission to the broadcasting or publication date.
- Fees related to publishing/broadcasting shall be borne exclusively by the applicant.
- Please indicate the origin of the material as "The Kumamoto University Library Collection."
- Alteration, etc., of materials provided is prohibited.
- Prior to publication, please present one printed sample, etc., of the part to be published and obtain confirmation from a University staff member.
- After publishing/broadcasting, we ask that you donate one copy of the publication (or video recording of the program) in which the provided material was used, republished, or reissued.
- The rights granted by this permit cannot be transferred to a third party (secondary use by another person) that has not been approved by the University.
- Should the applicant violate the permit conditions, or should it be found that publication is unnecessary due to changes in publication purpose, etc., permission may be revoked. In the event of revocation, the University bears no responsibility for damages to the applicant.